Just
a quick story to balance the many difficult stories associated with
food allergies and our children. I was giving a Healing with Food
presentation at the Ashland, MA Farmers Market and was offering
samples of Lacto-Fermented pickles donated by The
Real Pickles Company. A dad was gently coaching
his son to ask me if the samples contained...and then the boy quietly
and sheepishly recited the list which sounded like the big 8
allergies.
I turned around to a member of my
team and said "Food Allergies, let this boy read the
ingredients". My team member motioned for him to come to the
back of the booth and although the boy was hesitant, his dad came
with him and they read the ingredients together and found he could
indeed have a sample. It seems like such a simple thing but I know
this was an important step in this boy's learning to take care of
himself in a world that could make him very sick...or worse.
So
many children have to be ultra-careful about what they put in their
mouths. So many parents have to literally micromanage their
children's coming and goings around food in schools, birthday
parties, soccer games, etc. in order to avert disaster and simply
keep them safe.
I have been on the receiving end
of wait staff who say they understand my food allergies and then
bring me dangerous food.
I have been on the receiving end of people who say "just taste a little...it won't hurt you".
An extended family member who is a nursing student said the eating gluten-free is a life style choice! Is that what they are teaching in nursing school?
And though I would not call it bullying, I have also been on the receiving end of someone saying I wasn't cool because I have to watch everything that goes into my mouth.
I have been on the receiving end of people who say "just taste a little...it won't hurt you".
An extended family member who is a nursing student said the eating gluten-free is a life style choice! Is that what they are teaching in nursing school?
And though I would not call it bullying, I have also been on the receiving end of someone saying I wasn't cool because I have to watch everything that goes into my mouth.
These people were all
unfortunately ignorant and need training in awareness and compassion.
As more and more people are diagnosed with food sensitivities and
anaphylactic allergies, we must support each other in these areas,
looking for the opportunity to help where we can.
My
new bake shop will have a big sign outside the entrance stating
"Allergen-Free Facility. Please do not bring any food or drink
into this kitchen". When I have my bake shop launch party,
I will keep my new facility safe by providing all the food and drink
rather than have a pot luck (which is the norm for my friends).
Back
to the shy boy learning to ask for what he needs to keep him safe. I
was proud of my team for making this happen for him. I was proud of
his father's coaching and support. I was proud that even though the
boy was nervous about asking, nervous about coming into the booth,
nervous about the whole thing, he stayed with it and empowered
himself to keep himself safe.
Look for the
opportunities in your life to support and educate others about food
sensitivities and allergies. We need to grow a strong safety net for
all of us!
Here are a couple of photos from the
Healing with Food event:
A demo table full of pickles and jars
ready to be filled.
Sarah offering samples to the
crowd.
Thanks again to my team: my husband Allen, my friend Laurel, and my assistant Sarah. It was a really great day!!
Thanks again to my team: my husband Allen, my friend Laurel, and my assistant Sarah. It was a really great day!!

No comments:
Post a Comment