Currently
in our culture, an extraordinary number of people have digestive
disorders and challenges, some involving gluten sensitivity. There are
now two well known diets recommending the elimination of grains: The
GAPS diet and the Paleo diet.
The GAPS diet recommends removing
all grains from the diet for a period of time in order to let the
digestive system rest and heal. They believe that this protocol will
heal people of the gluten sensitivity, allowing them to eventually
tolerate gluten products after they heal. Many people have embraced the
Paleo diet which also suggests removing grains from the diet and
theorizes that humans are not meant to eat grains.
If you are
focused on healthy eating and are trying to heal your body from
digestive issues you have probably heard of these diets. For those of us
that seem to heal slowly or barely at all, we are always looking for
the next food or supplement or diet or practitioner that might help us
turn things around. It can be grueling.
I have heard from people
that have made progress on the GAPS diet. They will often turn to my
book and gluten-free breads as a stepping stone before they reintroduce
gluten breads. I have also heard from people that didn't do well on the
diet. They were always hungry or their issues simply did not resolve.
Some lost an alarming amount of weight and felt like they were
starving.
I don't know too many people who practice the Paleo
diet although a dear friend of mine has embraced it as a last resort
after going through years of tests and different practitioners. She
finally was diagnosed with intestinal parasites. Her practitioners are
trying to strengthen her body to prepare for the parasite treatment.
After many years, her health is finally improving on this diet! Removing
the grains has really worked for her although she said she had to get
used to the feeling of never feeling full after a meal. The Paleo diet
eliminates all grains, gluten-free or otherwise, as well as legumes.
It
could be very easy to fall prey to cultural pressure to go grain-free.
As I get older, I need less grain at meals. Is it because I'm healing
and utilize and assimilate my food better? Is it because I should be
grain-free? Is it because humans need less calories as we get older? Is
it because my blood type is a grain-eating blood type? (remember the
blood type diet?)
As a child, I had blood sugar fluctuations. As
an adult, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroid disease, the symptoms
of which, mimic hypoglycemia. We now know that these symptoms are
linked to gluten sensitivity. Once, I tried going without grains which
became a severe blood sugar roller coaster. I simply could not function.
Proponents of those diets might say I'm grain-addicted but if grains
makes me feel healthy, strong and clear headed and going without them
makes me a nonfunctional mess, I don't see eating grains as an addiction
or a problem for me.
Some people never need grains at a meal.
Some people always need grains at a meal. It seems that for me, grains
are fuel...and I need them to feel clear headed and stable. But not
everyone seems to need them for fuel.
Those of us who are able to
heal on a grain-free diet are fortunate that they have found the next
step that moves them towards optimal health. Those of us that heal using
other methods are also fortunate for the same reasons, that we move on
to the next level of health. That's what it's all about. To get to the
next level. And the next. And the next...until we feel good again.
People's
bodies are different and people's histories are different. People's
bodies need different diets at different times in their lives. No diet
is right for everyone, no practitioner is right for everyone and no food
is right for everyone.
Our generation has a host of new diseases
that have baffled conventional medicine. The answers are coming slowly
and seem to have to do with having access to clean food and water while
minimizing medication and environmental toxins.
Grains or Not?
The answer will always lie with how you and your children react to
grains or no grains. Your gut knows what it needs and will let you know,
if you pay close attention. If you are the parent of a small child with
food sensitivities, until your child can tell you how s/he feels, you
must trust your own instinct and observations over the many strong
messages out there.
A mother of a young child asked my opinion about something I've heard a number of times:
"Fermentation will completely eliminate the gluten in wheat or rye bread."
This
woman's sister was pressuring her to give her gluten-sensitive child
sourdough wheat bread, saying it was safe and would not hurt her since
it was fermented. The mother was hesitant, given her child's other
anaphylactic allergies. This is where I began ranting. I apologized for
the rant but she said "Please, I really want you to tell me how you feel
about thisl". I ranted and railed for awhile and finally got to a place
of composure again whereupon I said:
"Even
if the tests say that fermentation will completely neutralize gluten,
the tests still don't speak to the depth of the child's complicated
medical history and stressed digestive and immune systems. The tests
test the gluten, not the patient. New diseases cannot be resolved with
blanket statements that worked in the past, even if they fed people for
millenia, like sourdough bread. And you know how committed I am to the
concept of sourdough bread!!
I strongly believe in traditionally
prepared foods as they dramatically helped me to heal. But so did
removing gluten from my diet. Together, they helped me heal. Our current
diseases are deeply complex. Our road back to health can be equally
complex since we have little information about these diseases upon which
to base healing treatments."
New diseases, new theories, new
treatments. Our bodies will let us know what works for us. I support you
to trust your gut and exercise control over your body as well as your
child's body. And keep the faith that you will heal. It makes a big
difference!
Sunday, August 9, 2015
Grains or Not?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Thank you, Angelica!! Please let me know if you would like to subscribe to my newsletter!
ReplyDelete